Engineering and design
The Role of Design in the Circular Economy
Module code: H7098
15 credits in autumn teaching
Teaching method: Seminar
Assessment modes: Coursework
This module will address current and future trends in design, including:
- design for longevity
- re-designing the future
- design for leasing/service
- design for re-use in manufacture and design for material recovery.
It will prepare our future designers to embed circularity into their design process. The delivery will include engagement with design practitioners through guest seminars and real-world briefs.
Module learning outcomes
- Demonstrate the ability to design out waste by analysing information and experiences, formulating independent judgements and articulating reasoned arguments through reflection and evaluation.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand a service or products lifecycle and ensure its fitness for purpose.
- Demonstrate the ability to encompass the whole circular life of materials and processes within products.
- Demonstrate skills in using new and existing methods of creativity to generate ideas, concepts, proposals and solutions independently in response to the challenge of designing for circularity.