Engineering and design
Design for Industry
Module code: H7008
15 credits in spring semester
Teaching method: Lecture
Assessment modes: Coursework
This module reflects the international nature of product design. It optimises the skills you need to understand the holistic industrial, technical and product design processes and their associated specifications (PDS).
You will cover techniques to catalyse product design, including how to locate sources of inspiration for genuine product innovation and the external influencing factors that help govern and create a successful concept.
There is emphasis on appreciating user and market contexts whilst designing for commercial and industrial customers. The module provides an overview of key design process stages for new design concept development. Subjects include:
- historical and designer appreciation
- industrial production techniques
- 2D and 3D presentation skills.
The module enhances your ability to develop and present a design concept taken from an initial group project brief. It will extend your personal professional development, final year project awareness and career preparedness. Where possible, a related design visit will be included.
Materials and Manufacture
Principles of Engineering Design
Product Design for the 21st Century
Module learning outcomes
- Ability to apply knowledge of non-engineering disciplines in engineering and technical design. This will enable and generate ideas to solve problems and design new products with related systems, components or processes. These will be newly innovated or synthesised from those already in existence.
- Ability to design solutions according to the user and environmental requirements, whilst generating a detailed product design specification, (PDS). This will include an awareness for the influences of cost drivers on technical, engineering and design decision-making.
- Ability to monitor, interpret and apply the results of research, analysis and modelling in order to bring about continuous improvement within a typical design process development and presentation.
- Understanding and awareness for working as part of a team related to a group project, whilst coping with the synergies of team personalities and individual role responsibilities within the group.