Engineering and design
Computational Fluid Dynamics
Module code: 501H3
Level 7 (Masters)
15 credits in spring teaching
Teaching method: Lecture, Laboratory
Assessment modes: Unseen examination, Coursework
In this module, you cover:
- basic governing equations of fluid flow
- discretization of governing equations
- grid generation
- turbulence modelling
- numerical methods for incompressible and compressible flow
- boundary conditions
- simulation/analysis of a turbulent flow problem using the commercial software package ANSYS Workbench.
If you are an MEng or MechE student, you must have already taken the 'Fundamental Computational Fluid Dynamics' module (H3054), in order to take this module.
If you are an MSc Auto student, you must already have experience of Computational Fluid Dynamics in order to take this module.
Module learning outcomes
- Have new insights at the forefront of CFD
- Have a systematic understanding of turbulence modelling
- Apply a modern commercial CFD code to the analysis of a turbulent flow problem
- Be critically aware of the important issues in performing a CFD simulation/analysis