Engineering and design
Module code: 826H1
Level 7 (Masters)
15 credits in autumn teaching
Teaching method: Laboratory, Lecture
Assessment modes: Unseen examination, Coursework
The aim of the module is to introduce the fundamental principles of mobile communications and provide you with up-to-date knowledge and skills that are important in the design of mobile communication systems.
The following topics will be covered:
- overview of mobile communication systems
- cellular mobile communications concept
- mobile radio channel and mitigation
- digital modulation
- spread spectrum
- diversity, Multiple-input Multiple-output (MIMO)
- multiple access techniques
- wireless Local Area Network (WLAN)
- medium access control
- research project and simulation work using MATLAB software tools.
Module learning outcomes
- Understand fundamental concepts in cellular mobile communication systems.
- Describe the mobile propagation channel and underlying communication and mitigation methods.
- Analyse and compare multiple access and communication technologies in cellular and WLAN.
- Describe research work and perform modelling and simulation with the aid of software tools.