Spanish post Ab initio
Module code: R4040
15 credits in autumn semester
Teaching method: Seminar
Assessment modes: Coursework
This module is a post-beginner stage for students with basic prior knowledge of the target language (TL). Building on existing levels of proficiency at A2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference [CEFR] the module aims to provide the opportunity for you to:
- develop practical applied competence in the four TL skills of listening, reading, speaking and writing;
- consolidate and develop a range of standard lexical, phonetic, and grammatical principles to allow rapid progression in the TL;
- encourage autonomous use of the TL;
- develop contextualised cultural knowledge and awareness through study of authentic TL materials in a range of media (text-based, digital and audio-visual).
Module learning outcomes
- Demonstrate the acquisition of a standard lexical range, the application of standard grammatical principles and concepts, and their syntactical application within the TL with reasonable accuracy.
- Demonstrate understanding of selected (textual and audio-visual) authentic materials in clear standard TL on common social, political, cultural or literary themes.
- Demonstrate effective communication in conversation and in writing in the TL, including some unpredictable or less routine situations, within a selected range of formal/informal contexts.
- Demonstrate development of: ‒ transferable skills in the TL, such as note-taking, summarising and synthesising; ‒ intercultural awareness: an awareness of aspects of the general social and cultural background of the TL and selection of an appropriate response in associated cultural settings and contexts.