Calculus of Several Variables
Module code: G5210
15 credits in autumn teaching
Teaching method: Class, Lecture, Workshop, Seminar
Assessment modes: Coursework, Unseen examination
This module covers topics including:
- partial derivatives, the gradient vector, higher order partial derivatives and Hessian matrix
- multiple integration, cylindrical polar coordinates and spherical polar coordinates
- implicit Function Theorem and Taylor's Theorem
- line integrals
- Green's theorem, Gauss's theorem and Stokes' theorem
- CV and career guidance
Pre-requisites: (G5086) Calculus; (G5085) Analysis 1 [UG Level 4]
Co-requisites: (G5211) Introduction to Probability and Applied Analysis
Module learning outcomes
- Partially differentiate functions of two or more variables.
- Compute multiple integrals.
- Apply Green's Theorem, Gauss' Theorem and Stokes' Theorerm.
- Have gathered sufficient knowledge of different career paths for mathematics graduates that they can draw up their own plan to achieve emplyment success after graduation.