Module code: G5085
15 credits in spring teaching
Teaching method: Lecture, Workshop
Assessment modes: Unseen examination, Coursework
In this module, the topics you will cover will include:
- Sequences; convergence, Cauchy sequences, subsequences
- Series; proof and application of convergence/divergence criteria
- Limits of functions; definitions, examples and properties
- Continuity; intermediate value theorem, uniform continuity
- Differentiability; definition, proofs of mean value theorems.
Module learning outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of the definitions and the elementary properties of continuous and differentiable functions of one real variable.
- Appreciate rigorous arguments in calculus and be able to deploy them in solving problems in analysis.
- Understand the main theorems and their proofs on continuous and differentiable functions on the real line.
- Understand the concepts and definitions of convergent sequences and series, provide and explain examples and counterexamples.