Numerical Analysis 1
Module code: G5084
15 credits in spring teaching
Teaching method: Lecture, Practical, Workshop
Assessment modes: Unseen examination, Coursework
In this module, you will cover topics such as:
Part I: Introduction to Computing with MATLAB
- basic arithmetic and vectors
- m-file functions
- if and else
- while statements.
Part II: Introduction to Numerical Analysis
- operating with floating point numbers, round-off error, cancellation error
- polynomial interpolation, basic idea of interpolation, order of approximation, Lagrangian interpolation, Runge's example, piecewise linear interpolation
- numerical differentiation, finite difference quotients, order of approximation
- numerical integration, derive standard numerical integration scheme's and analyse, using polynomial interpolation (midpoint formula, trapezoidal rule, Simpson's formula)
- nonlinear equations, bisection method, fixed point iteration method, Newton's method/secant method.
Module learning outcomes
- Write and compile simple MATLAB programs。
- Carry out numerical differentiation using finite difference quotients and determine order of convergence.
- Derive numerical integration schemes
- Solve nonlinear equations using the bisection method, fixed point iteration and the Newton's method.