Module code: G5096
15 credits in autumn semester
Teaching method: Lecture, Workshop
Assessment modes: Unseen examination, Coursework
Topics covered on this module include:
- definition of a group, examples, abelian groups, subgroups, cosets, Lagrange's theorem, cyclic groups
- the symmetric group S_n and conjugacy
- homomorphisms, normal subgroups and quotient groups
- definition of a ring, examples, polynomial rings, ideals and homomorphisms
- definition of a field and construction of extensions.
Module learning outcomes
- Understand the structure of a finite group.
- Understand permutations.
- Understand quotient groups
- Understand and illustrate the definitions of a ring and a field.