Physics and astronomy
Oscillations, Waves and Optics
Module code: F3215
15 credits in spring teaching
Teaching method: Class, Workshop, Lecture
Assessment modes: Coursework, Unseen examination
This module covers:
- Simple harmonic motion
- Forced oscillations and resonance
- Mechanical waves
- Properties of sound
- Coupled oscillators and normal modes
- Geometrical optics to the level of simple optical systems
- Huygens' principle, introduction to wave optics
- Interference and diffraction at single and multiple apertures
- Optical cavities and laser action
- Practical introduction to the use of telescopes.
Module learning outcomes
- Analyse oscillations and waves mathematically.
- Solve simple problems of geometric optics.
- Predict diffraction and interference patterns.
- Operate small telescopes and record images.