Physics and astronomy
Stars & Planets
Module code: F3223
15 credits in spring semester
Teaching method: Lecture, Class, Workshop
Assessment modes: Unseen examination, Coursework
Module topics include:
- Equations of stellar structure
- Star formation
- Stellar evolution and end points
- Proto-planetary disks
- Binary systems
Module learning outcomes
- Demonstrate familiarity with the principal observational properties of stars and planets.
- Explain how these observations inform our physical understanding of these systems.
- Apply physical laws to make simple calculations to understand the observed properties.
- Demonstrate an elementary understanding of the formation processes of stars and planets.