Physics and astronomy
Beyond the Standard Model
Module code: 901F3
Level 7 (Masters)
15 credits in spring teaching
Teaching method: Lecture
Assessment modes: Coursework, Open examination
This module covers:
- Basics of global supersymmetry: motivation and algebra, the Wess-Zumino model, superfields and superspace, construction of supersymmetry-invariant Lagrangians.
- Weak scale supersymmetry: the gauge hierarchy problem, the Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model (MSSM).
- Grand unification: SUS(5), the gauge sector, fermion masses, proton decay.
- Extra dimensions: Kaluza-Klein reduction for scalars, fermions and gauge fields, generation of hierarchies, warped geometry.
Level 7: Pre-requisite: (877F3) Quantum Field Theory 1 [T1].
Module learning outcomes
- be able to construct supersymmetric actions in superfields and component fields.
- analyse the phenomenological applications of supersymmetry.
- construct and analyse grand unified extensions of the standard model.
- work out field theories in higher dimensions.