Physics and astronomy
Symmetry in Particle Physics
Module code: 878F3
Level 7 (Masters)
15 credits in autumn semester
Teaching method: Workshop, Lecture
Assessment modes: Unseen examination, Coursework
The module provides an introduction into group theory and aspects of symmetry in particle physics, covering:
- Groups and representations
- Lie groups and Lie algebras
- Space-time symmetries and Poincare group
- Symmetry and conservation laws
- Global, local, and discrete symmetry
- Symmetry breaking and the origin of mass
- Symmetry of the standard model, CKM matrix, neutrino masses, tree-level interactions.
Module learning outcomes
- Show an understanding of the concepts underlying symmetry such as Lie algebras and their representation.
- Understand how these concepts are realized in a field theory.
- Appreciate the consequences of symmetry, and symmetry-breaking, in the Standard Model of particle physics.