Physics and astronomy
Quantum Field Theory 1
Module code: 877F3
Level 7 (Masters)
15 credits in autumn semester
Teaching method: Lecture, Workshop
Assessment modes: Unseen examination, Coursework
This module is an introduction into quantum field theory, covering:
- Action principle and Lagrangean formulation of mechanics
- Lagrangean formulation of field theory and relativistic invariance
- Symmetry, invariance and Noether's theorem
- Canonical quantization of the scalar field
- Canonical quantization of the electromagnetic field
- Canonical quantization of the Dirac spinor field
- Interactions, the S matrix, and perturbative expansions
- Feynman rules and radiative corrections.
Level 5: (F3239) Quantum Mechanics 1 [T2]
Level 6: (F3225) Quantum Mechanics 2 [T2]
(885F3) Further Quantum Mechanics
Module learning outcomes
- Give an account of the canonical quantization procedure.
- Perform four-vector algebra in Minkowski space.
- Derive Euler-Lagrange equations for a field theory.
- Appreciate how transition amplitudes and basic Feynman graphs are computed.