Physics and astronomy
Further Quantum Mechanics
Module code: 885F3
Level 7 (Masters)
15 credits in autumn semester
Teaching method: Lecture, Workshop
Assessment modes: Unseen examination, Coursework
Topics covered include:
- Review of 4-vector notation and Maxwell equations.
- Relativistic quantum mechanics: Klein-Gordon equation and antiparticles.
- Time-dependent perturbation theory. Application to scattering processes and calculation of cross-sections. Feynman diagrams.
- Spin-1/2 particles and the Dirac equation. Simple fermionic scatterings.
(F3225) Quantum Mechanics 2 (T2, Level 6]
Module learning outcomes
- Give an account of fundamental principles in relativistic quantum mechanics.
- Understand and explain the origin of the Dirac and Klein-Gordon equation.
- Understand and manipulate four-vectors and Pauli and gamma matrices.
- Calculate cross-sections using simple Feynman diagrams.