Physics and astronomy
Module code: F3211
15 credits in autumn semester
Teaching method: Class, Workshop, Lecture
Assessment modes: Coursework, Unseen examination
This module will cover the following topics:
- Physics of the hydrogen atom
- Relativistic hydrogen atom (fine structure, antimatter)
- Hyperfine structure of hydrogen and the 21-cm line
- Interaction with external fields (Zeeman Effect, Stark Effect)
- Helium atom
- Multi-electron atoms and the periodic system
- Molecules and chemical binding
- Molecular structure: vibration and rotation
- Radiative processes, emission and absorption spectra
Level 5: (F3239) Quantum Mechanics 1 [T2]
Module learning outcomes
- Systematic understanding of the structure of atoms and molecules.
- Detailed knowledge of the physical processes determining the properties of atoms.
- Familiarity with modern applications of atomic physics in spectroscopy and astrophysics.
- Ability to solve simple physical problems in atomic physics.