Physics and astronomy
Experimental Quantum Technologies and Foundations
Module code: 893F3
Level 7 (Masters)
15 credits in spring semester
Teaching method: Lecture
Assessment modes: Presentation, Test
The module will introduce you to the practical implementation of quantum technologies. Topics include:
- general introduction to quantum computers
- ion trap quantum computers
- quantum computing with superconducting qubits
- quantum computing with neutral atoms
- linear optics quantum computing
- other quantum computing implementations
- hybrid quantum technologies
- quantum simulators
- quantum cryptography
- quantum effects in macroscopic systems
- quantum effects in biological systems
- foundations of quantum physics
- quantum physics and philosophy
Pre-requisites: Level 5: (F3239) Quantum Mechanics 1 [T2].
Module learning outcomes
- Understand how quantum technologies are implemented in different physical systems.
- Appreciate the wide range of different quantum technologies.
- Appreciate the frontiers of quantum technology research.