Physics and astronomy
Thermal and Statistical Physics
Module code: F3224
15 credits in spring semester
Teaching method: Workshop, Lecture, Class
Assessment modes: Coursework, Unseen examination
Topics covered include:
- Review of kinetic theory of gases and first law of thermodynamics.
- Basics of statistical mechanics. Microstates, entropy, second law.
- Classical thermodynamics. Engines and refrigerators.
- More statistical mechanics. Maxwell-Boltzmann, Bose-Einstein and Fermi-Dirac distributions.
- Blackbody radiation.
- Elements of phase transitions.
Level 4: (F3201) Maths Methods 1 ; (F3202) Maths Methods 2 [T2] ; (F3240) Classical Physics [T2].
Level 5: (F3205) Maths Methods 3 [T1].
Level 5: (F3239) Quantum Mechanics 1 [T2].
Module learning outcomes
- State the laws of classical thermodynamics, and apply them to simple problems.
- Define some of the tools of statistical mechanics, and apply them to simple systems.