Organometallic Chemistry 2
Module code: F1001
15 credits in autumn semester
Teaching method: Lecture
Assessment modes: Unseen examination, Coursework
This module builds substantially on areas and concepts introduced in the second year Organometallic module.
The emphasis is mainly descriptive rather than deeply theoretical, but you'll learn about some of the fundamental aspects of bonding and electronic structure.
Specific topics covered in the module include:
- organometallic compounds of the transition metals and f-elements containing -bound 5-, 6-, 7-, and 8-membered aromatic rings
- the application of organometallic compounds of main group and transition metals in the polymerisation of alpha-olefins
- the activation of H-H, C-H, and N-N bonds by organometallic complexes.
Module learning outcomes
- . A systematic understanding of the synthesis, stability and electronic structure of sandwich complexes of the d- and f-elements
- A systematic understanding of the scope and mechanism of polymerisation of alpha-olefins by organometallic complexes
- A systematic understanding of the different modes of binding of small molecules at metal centres
- A systematic understanding of the activation of small molecules at metal centres