History Short Period: The Middle East and North Africa since 1908
Module code: V4122
15 credits in autumn teaching
Teaching method: Lecture, Seminar
Assessment modes: Unseen examination
In this module, you examine the key political, social, cultural and economic themes in Middle Eastern and North African history since 1908.
You look at the:
- politics of reformism
- impact of World War One
- rise of pan-Arab nationalism
- impact of World War Two
- foundation of Israel
- end of British and French Empires
- Suez and the politics of pan-Arabism
- rise of political Islam.
Module learning outcomes
- Relate a topic of broad historical significance to the national history of a particular region.
- Reflect on the historical concept of change over time.
- Appreciate the importance of historiographical debates related to particular national histories.