English and drama
Module code: Q3186
30 credits in spring teaching
Teaching method: Seminar
Assessment modes: Dissertation
You explore key ideas in contemporary queer theory alongside analysis of literary works.
You develop an up to date and in-depth understanding of key queer theoretical developments that may include:
- the queer child
- queerness and temporality
- queer affects
- life writing
- intersectionality and identity
- queer negativity
- queer utopianism
- queerness and diaspora.
At the same time, you will consider diverse works of modern and contemporary literature that offer a range of perspectives on identity, race, nation, gender, and sexuality. Overall, the module will explore how to bring theoretical concepts into conversation with literary texts.
Module learning outcomes
- Demonstrate detailed knowledge of the theoretical frameworks explored in the module.
- Demonstrate the capacity to develop critical analyses of literary texts based on the theoretical considerations explored in the module.
- Undertake close analyses of demanding literary texts.