Module code: G5120
15 credits in spring teaching
Teaching method: Lecture, Seminar, Practical
Assessment modes: Coursework
This module covers important professional skills in four categories: technical communication, technical and academic writing, professional conduct, and IT law. Topics include:
Technical communication skills (two lectures)
- giving effective oral presentations
- graphical aids for oral presentations.
Writing skills (12 lectures)
- report writing
- correct attribution of credit and referencing.
Professional conduct (six lectures)
- codes of professional conduct
- computers and society, including the workplace and education
- ethical implications of the internet, artificial intelligence, virtual reality, and emerging new technologies.
IT law (four lectures)
- digital evidence: Information retrieval, retention and protection
- privacy and data protection
- contract law and employment law for IT
- intellectual property in the IT sector.
Module learning outcomes
- Give effective oral presentations.
- Adopt a problem solving approach to the process of writing.
- Be aware of rules of academic and professional conduct and act accordingly.
- Have knowledge of the fundamentals of IT law.