Mathematics and Computational Methods for Complex Systems
Module code: 817G5
Level 7 (Masters)
15 credits in autumn semester
Teaching method: Lecture, Seminar
Assessment modes: Coursework
This module provides a foundation in mathematical and scientific computing techniques used in various fields, including artificial intelligence, artificial life, data science, and computational neuroscience.
The topics covered also provide the necessary theoretical grounding for a number of modules in Informatics MSc courses, including Adaptive Systems and Machine Learning.
- Vectors and matrices
- Differential calculus
- Numerical integration
- Probability and hypothesis testing - Dynamical systems theory.
Module learning outcomes
- Use vectors and matrices to simplify mathematical operations using MatLab.
- Apply gradient descent for function optimisation using MatLab.
- Construct and integrate simple mathematical systems and analyse their stability using dynamical systems theory.
- Analyse a scientifc topic mathematically.