Mathematics and Computational Methods for Complex Systems
Module code: 817G5
Level 7 (Masters)
15 credits in autumn teaching
Teaching method: Lecture, Seminar
Assessment modes: Coursework
This module provides a foundation in mathematical and scientific computing techniques used widely in artificial intelligence, artificial life and related fields. The material covered in this module will facilitate the study of a number of options on other MSc courses at a deeper level than would be possible without it. In particular, it is a prerequisite for the Neural Networks and Computational Neuroscience modules. Coursework is based around Matlab packages.
- vectors and matrices
- differential calculus
- numerical integration
- probability and hypothesis testing
- dynamical systems theory.
Module learning outcomes
- Use vectors and matrices to simplify mathematical operations using MatLab.
- Apply gradient descent for function optimisation using MatLab.
- Construct and integrate simple mathematical systems and analyse their stability using dynamical systems theory.
- Analyse a scientifc topic mathematically.