Module code: G6012
15 credits in autumn teaching
Teaching method: Lecture, Seminar
Assessment modes: Unseen examination, Coursework
In this introductory mathematics module, you explore the fundamental mathematical concepts and skills needed for all Informatics degrees.
In this module, you cover topics such as:
- basic set theory
- number systems
- regular expressions
- finite state automata
- basic calculus
- basic linear algebra
- proof by induction
- an introduction to the concepts of probability theory and statistics.
Module learning outcomes
- Is familiar with mathematical notations and confident in using them.
- Has knowledge of the concepts of sets, expressions, automata and functions and is able to operate with them.
- Can operate with vectors and matrices and has knowledge of the underlying concepts.
- Has knowledge of the concept of probability and can calculate and interpret probabilities and statistical quantities.