Module code: 927G7
Level 7 (Masters)
15 credits in autumn teaching
Teaching method: Laboratory, Lecture
Assessment modes: Unseen examination
In this module, you are introduced to the models and technologies used to provide Web Services (over the Internet) - in particular XML technologies.
You cover topics including:
- XML Schema
- XML Transformation
- servlets and Java APIs for parsing
- processing documents.
The main aim of this module is to introduce you to the prevailing technologies underlying the emergence of the Web Service as a major computation model over the Internet.
Working knowledge of HTML.
Programming skills, in particular JAVA.
Basic understanding of networks.
Module learning outcomes
- Solve simple problems in the design of Web Services.
- Design document types, distinguishing semantic data from visual markup, and schemas to support web services.
- Transform XML document using a variety of leading-edge technologies.
- Understand the design of services in the large, as well as the specific use of best suited tools in the small.