Long Stayers Scholarship (2017)
There are two awards available which consist of a fee waiver and a £11,500 cash award.
Type of award
Full Overseas fee waiver plus £11,500 cash award per year of study.
To be eligible for the award you will:
- be legally resident in the UK, have been granted Leave to Remain in the UK and do not qualify for funding from Student Finance England; or
- have been granted Discretionary Leave to Remain (DLR) or some other form of temporary status as a result of an asylum or human rights application; or
- are an asylum seeker or the partner / dependant of an asylum seeker
- have received an offer of a conditional or unconditional place on a full time undergraduate degree programme at the University of Sussex, excluding courses at Brighton and Sussex Medical School
- have not already obtained a degree or degree equivalent qualification from another Institution
- have not met the eligibility criteria for funding from Student Finance England
- have a household income of less than £42,875
- remain on the programme for which the scholarship is offered
Deadline2 July 2017 23:59 (GMT)
How to apply
Please complete the online application form which can be accessed here. The deadline for applications is 2 July 2017.
You will need to upload the following information with your application form as proof of eligibility.
- copies of documentation confirming your visa or asylum status (letter or Biometric Residence Permit Card)
- proof of your household income. E.g. P60, payslips, benefit notification letters, self-employed accounts etc.
If you have questions about potential eligibility please contact us on the details below.
The selectors will pay close attention to the information detailed in your personal statement and applications will be shortlisted using the following criteria:
|Personal circumstances and Family history, including family situation, family history of university study, disability etc.|
|Low Score||High Score|
|Demonstrates ambition and drive in relation to their reasons for study at Sussex.||Has little or no drive. Has shown themselves to be apathetic in reaching previous targets or in taking opportunities||Has enthusiasm for the course and the area of study and demonstrates some drive for later goals||Has high levels of drive for a future in University and connects enthusiasm for their course with wider goals|
|Has clearly explained their reasons for choosing Sussex||Limited or unrelated explanation||Some relevant explanation||Full explanation provided|
|Has clearly explained how they intend to use their time at Sussex and how this will impact their future and career.||Limited explanation||Some relevant explanation||Clear and relevant explanation|
T: 01273 872994
Close of Applications: 2nd July 2017 at 23:59pm
Notification of Award: 18th August 2017
The payments of the cash award will be made at the start of December, February and May.
2 July 2017 23:59 (GMT)
the deadline has now expired
The award is available to people from these specific countries: