Induction for new students - Starting with us


Q: Is there any way my parents can contact me in an emergency?

They can contact you on the landline telephone in each of the study bedrooms. Alternatively, urgent messages can be left at York House 24-hour reception on 01273 678323.

Q: What should I do in an emergency?

You should immediately contact the Security Office on (87)3333. For non-emergencies (67)8234. You can also phone security for first aid assistance. Never call 999 (Security will do this for you) as emergency services need to be met at the entrance to campus and guided to the incident location.

Q: What should I do if I need first aid assistance?

You should phone security on (87)3333.

Q: Do I need insurance for my room?

Personal contents insurance is included in your rent. However, if you have particularly valuable items, you may wish to extend your cover with our insurance provider, Endsleigh.

Q: Is it safe walking back onto campus at night?

The campus has a very good record for safety and security. There is CCTV throughout the campus, night lighting, emergency phones and frequent patrols around campus for added protection. Students can get the night-bus on and off campus from the residences. Students can also request to be met at the start of campus or Falmer Station by a Security Officer to escort them back to the residences and vice versa. Students can pick up a free personal alarm from the Student Life Centre.

Q: What should I do in the event of a fire alarm going off?

In the event of a fire alarm sounding even if you think it is a false alarm you MUST vacate the premises and go to the appointed meeting place. Please be aware that no smoke detector is to be covered up and fire doors must not be wedged open.

Q: What should I do if I see someone behaving suspiciously?

You should always notify Security. You can choose to use the emergency phones located around the campus to contact Security, some of which have blue beacons above them for easy recognition. The campus is totally open and therefore accessible to everyone so please be aware at all times.

Q: Where do I go to look for lost property?

You should go to Security Office on the ground floor of York House which is staffed 24-hours a day. This is also where you should bring any lost property you find. Look out for emails about lost property too as Security staff will often contact people if they can identify the owner of the lost item or you can email to see if your item has been handed in.

The security office will keep items for one month. After that unclaimed items are given to charity, sold by the Students Union or recycled. Unclaimed money is given to a student welfare fund and passports are sent to the Passport Office or embassy.

Q: What do I do if I have lost my ID card?

If you lose your card, or if you suspect it has been stolen, you should immediately report the loss to the Library. To obtain a replacement card, which you will need to do if you want to benefit from University services, you must go to the Print and Reprographic Unit in York House (ext 8216). There is a charge for cards replaced as a result of loss, or because of accidental damage. If your card has been stolen and you can provide a Crime Reference number from the police in support of this, you will not be charged for a new card.

Staying safe at Sussex