Latest staff news
University in line for county-wide workplace health award
The University of Sussex has been short-listed for the GBUK Workplace Health Award at the Sussex Sports Awards 2012.
If successful, it will be the second such award in four years for the University, after winning the Healthiest Workplace Award at the Brighton and Hove Business Awards (BAHBAs) in 2008.
A campaign this May to encourage staff on campus to ‘commit to get fit’ is one of several new initiatives introduced at the University in the past 18 months.
Seven teams of staff completed the month-long challenge, which saw staff team up with their colleagues to be more active by trying out classes, walking or cycling to work, or taking up a new sport. Sussexsport staff supported teams with extra classes and offered personal training advice and discounted sports membership throughout the month.
Other health and wellbeing schemes on campus this year include:
- staff-only yoga and chi gung sessions
- ‘stop smoking’ sessions for staff during October, as part of national Stoptober campaign
- free massage and kung fu sessions during Stress Awareness Day on 7 November
These build on more established methods of encouraging staff to lead healthier lifestyles and enjoy a positive work/life balance. Staff at Sussex can also benefit from:
- lunchtime campus walks
- a weekly fruit and vegetables market
- free fitness advice by email
- mini health checks
- healthy eating advice
- events such as the boundary run/walk, rounders afternoon and table tennis competition
- bike loans, cycle storage and shower facilities to encourage active transport
- flexible working arrangements, a childcare voucher scheme for parents, and a Nursery and Pre School on campus
Active Sussex, who organise the Sussex Sports Awards, said that the University and the two other organisations short-listed for the Workplace Health Award have shown “innovation in the workplace”.
The other two workplaces up for the award are AmicusHorizon (a housing association) and the Newhaven Harbour branch of Sainsbury’s supermarket. The winner will be announced at an awards dinner at the Hilton Brighton Metropole on 23 November.
Active Sussex added: “The Sports Awards will be a chance to reflect on the triumphs and celebrations of Sussex Olympians and Paralympians, as well as looking forward to a lasting sporting legacy from the London 2012 Games in our county.”
If you'd like to leave a comment, enter your ITS username, password, and your comment. The comment may need approval before it is displayed, so don't expect your comment to appear right away.
By submitting a comment you are agreeing to the Acceptable Use Policy.