Dr Charlotte Taylor
|Post:||Lecturer In English Language And Linguistics (English)|
|Location:||ARTS B B245|
|International:||+44 1273 873173|
|download vCarddownload vCard to your mobile|
I started my academic life in literature (Warwick) and then moved into linguistics (Sheffield Hallam, Lancaster). Prior to Sussex I held academic posts at the University of Portsmouth (Senior Lecturer in English Language and Linguistics) and the University of Siena, Italy (Research Fellow in English Language and Linguistics; Teaching Fellow in English Language).
I am Editor of CADAAD Journal (Critical Approaches to Discourse Analysis across Disciplines).
Lecturer in English Language and Linguistics in the School of English
Chair of Board of Studies for English Language and Linguistics
Coordinator of Research on Language & Linguistics Seminar Series
I would be interested in supervising doctoral students in the areas of pragmatics, intercultural pragmatics, discourse analysis and corpus linguistics. In particular, I would welcome proposals on:
- im/politeness mismatch, e.g. investigations of sarcasm or patronising behaviours.
- impoliteness and culture
- metalanguage of impoliteness
- discourses of migration
- the role of language in 'othering'
- discourse studies of populism
- representation of gender and sexuality
- diachronic/historical studies of media/public representation
- corpus-assisted discourse studies