Dr Giuseppe Scotto
|Post:||Associate Tutor (Business and Management)|
|Other posts:||S G I Tutor (International Study Centre)|
|Location:||JUBILEE BUILDING 201|
|download vCarddownload vCard to your mobile|
I was born in Foggia, in Southern Italy, where I grew up. At the age of 18 I moved to Milan, where I got my bachelor degree in Economics, Statistics and Social Sciencies and had my first work experiences; subsequently I migrated first to Amsterdam, where I obtained an MSc in Contemporary Asian Studies, and then to Brighton, where I recently completed my PhD in Migration Studies at Sussex. In this way, my own personal background is well linked with my research interests in transnationalism, professional migration and Italian diaspora.
Affiliated Member, Sussex Centre for Migration Research
Associate Tutor, School of Business, Management and Economics
- PhD in Migration Studies (University of Sussex, 2012)
- MSc in Comparative and Cross-Cultural Research Methods (University of Sussex, 2008)
- MSc in Contemporary Asian Studies (University of Amsterdam, 2006)
- Italian laurea in Economics, Statistics and Social sciences, major in Historical Social Sciences (Bocconi University, 2004)
- October 25, 2012, Rotterdam (Netherlands): ‘Migrant Transnationalism, Integration and Return’ Workshop, Organised by: the IMITE standing committee (a collaboration of Peace Research Institute Oslo, Maastricht University and Erasmus University Rotterdam); title: ‘Political integration and transnationalism among first- and second-generation Italians in London’
- February 15, 2012, Brighton (United Kingdom): Sussex European Institute Research in Progress Seminar; title: ‘The political participation of migrants: a study of the Italian communities in London’
- September 14, 2011, Ponta Delgada (Portugal): Presentation at the 16th International Metropolis Conference; title: 'The Italian network in London from past to present days'
- September 9, 2011, Palermo (Italy): Presentation at the XXV Convegno SISP (Italian Society of Political Science); title: ' The transnational political participation of Italian citizens in London'
- July 17, 2011, Brighton (United Kingdom): Presentation at the 'Migration Research in Progress: A Graduate Students Workshop'; title: 'The impact of the institutional and associational network on the identity building and the mobilization of Italian citizens in London'
- July 14, 2011, London (United Kingdom): Presentation at the 'Londonicity Conference: The Second Annual London Studies' Conference; title: 'From Clerkenwell to the City: the Italian presence in London'
- June 18, 2011, Rome (Italy) : Presentation at the 'Echi Oltremare: Italy, the Mediterranean...and Beyond' Conference; title: 'Meritocracy and legality: the discourse of ‘new’ Italian migration to London'
- May 13, 2011, Cardiff (United Kingdom): Presentation at the 'Within and Without: Representing Diasporas in Europe' Conference; title: 'The Use of Off-line and On-line Spaces and the Process of Identity Building in the Italian Community in London'
- August 30, 2010, Dublin (Republic of Ireland): Presentation at the 3rd ECPR Graduate Conference; title: ‘A case of political transnationalism: the external voting of Italians in the UK’
- May 28, 2010, Oslo (Norway): Presentation at the PRIO; title: ‘Intra-EU mobility and political transnationalism: The case of Italians in London’
- November 20, 2009, London (United Kingdom): Presentation at the Institute of Germanic and Romance Studies, University of London,; title: 'From Bedford to London: old and new Italian immigration'
- September 2010 - February 2011: Puglia regional scholarship for international research activity of young Puglia's graduates
- April 2010 - July 2010: Visiting period at the International Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO), funded by the Research Council of Norway's Yggdrasil - young guest and doctoral researchers' annual scholarships for investigation and learning
- ECPR Summer School in Methods and Techniques: course on QCA and Fuzzy Sets (University of Ljubljana, 2009)
- Harvard-Manchester Summer Workshop on Immigration and Social Change in Britain and the US (University of Manchester , 2008)
Previous work experience:
- November 2009 - April 2010 and November 2008 - April 2009: Administrative Assistant for the Chevening Programme on Managing Migration at the University of Sussex
- February - May 2005: Intern in the Asia research group at the Institute for the Studies of International Politics (ISPI), Milan