|Post:||Professor of Social Work Research (Social Work and Social Care)|
|Location:||Essex House Eh 108|
|International:||+44 1273 873040|
|download vCarddownload vCard to your mobile|
- BA, MA, PhD
- My background was originally in social history, and latterly in developmental psychology, social policy and social work.
- Much of my work involves bringing interidisicplinary perspectives to social work questions, drawing on a wide range of theoretical, evidential and methodological genres
- Special interests include devleopment of research knowledges and expertise in social work and social care, children, young people and risk, and interprofessional/ interdisciplinary education.
- Member of ESRC Peer Review College
- Deputy Chair of Joint University Council Social Work Education Committee Research Sub-commitee
- Steering Group Member: European Conference on Social Work Research
- Member of NIHR School for Social Care Research Advisory Board
- Associate Editor, Journal of Interprofessional Care
- Conjoint Fellow, The Australian Institute for Social Inclusion and Wellbeing (TAISIW University of Newcastle, Australia
- ESRC Strategic Adviser for Social Work and Social Care Research (2008-9)
- Member of Department of Health/ESRC Committee for Development of Social Care Research Ethics Committee (2008-9)
Post: Professor of Social Work Research
Roles: Director of Research and Knowledge Exchange, School of Education and Social Work
Location: Essex House room 108
UK: (01273) 873040
International: +44 1273 873040
Recent and ongoing research
- Developing capacity and interdisciplinary engagement in social work and social care research (funded by ESRC)
- The teaching of research in qualifying social work eduction (funded by ESRC)
- Developing systematic review methodlogies for social work research (funded by Social Care Institute for Excellence)
- Young people and risk
- I supervise candidates undertaking doctoral research on the the PhD and DSW programmes
- Topics include: children's rights and interprofessional practice; governmentality and social work policy and practice; communicating with children; access to children's social work services; restorative justice; utlisation of research in policy and practice;
- I have taught on all programmes offered by the Department of Social Work at undergraduate, masters, post-qualifying and in particular post-graduate research levels. I also teach on the cross-School MSc in Social Research Methods.
- Primary teaching areas are: research methods; evidence based policy and practice; young people and risk; policy and practice for children and young people's well-being.
Sharland, Elaine (2013) Where are we now? Strengths and limitations of UK social work and social care research. Social Work and Social Sciences Review, 16 (2). pp. 7-19. ISSN 0953-5225
Sharland, Elaine (2012) Systematic Review. In: The Sage Handbook of Social Work. Sage Publications Ltd, London, pp. 482-498. ISBN 9781849207515
Sharland, Elaine (2012) The role of theory in social work research. In: Understanding research for social policy and social work (second edition): themes, methods and approaches. Understanding welfare : social issues, policy and practice . Policy Press, Bristol, pp. 112-116. ISBN 9781847428165
Sharland, Elaine (2012) All together now? Building disciplinary and inter-disciplinary research capacity in social work and social care. British Journal of Social Work, 42 (2). pp. 208-226. ISSN 0045-3102
Barr, Hugh and Sharland, Elaine (2011) Interprofessional education in qualifying social work. In: Social Work Education and Training (Research Highlights in Social Work). Research Highlights in Social Work . Jessica Kingsley, pp. 199-213. ISBN 978-1-84905-076-0
Warner, Joanne and Sharland, Elaine (2010) Editorial: Risk and Social Work: Critical Perspectives. British Journal of Social Work, 40 (4). pp. 1035-1045. ISSN 0045-3102
Sharland, Elaine (2009) Strategic Adviser for Social Work and Social Care Research Main Report to the Economic and Social Research Council Training and Development Board. Project Report. Economic and Social Research Council.
Sharland, Elaine (2009) Strategic Adviser for Social Work and Social Care Research: Summary Report to the Economic and Social Research Council Training and Development Board. Project Report. Economic and Social Research Council.
Sharland, Elaine and Holmstrom, Cath (2009) Symposium: The ESRC Strategic Advisor Initiative for social work and social care research: moving forward the agenda. In: Changing Identities: 11th UK Joint Social Work Education Conference with the 3rd UK Social Work Research Conference, 8-10 July 2009, University of Hertfordshire .
Taylor, Imogen, Sharland, Elaine and Whiting, Russell (2008) Building capacity for the children's workforce: findings from the knowledge review of the higher education response. Learning in Health and Social Care, 7 (4). pp. 184-197. ISSN 1473-6853
Taylor, Imogen, Whiting, Russell Lewis and Sharland, Elaine (2008) Integrated Children's Services in Higher Education (ICS-HE)- Preparing Tomorrow's Professionals, Knowledge Review. Higher Education Academy, Subject Centre for Social Policy and Social Work (SWAP), Southampton. ISBN 9780854328888
Orme , Joan, MacIntyre, Gillian, Paul, Sally, Fook, Jan, Powell, Jackie and Sharland, Elaine (2008) An audit of research teaching in the social work degree. In: An Audit of Baseline Resources for Social Work Research: Finances, Staff, Teaching. Economic and Social Research Council, Swindon, pp. 117-196.
Sharland, Elaine and Taylor, Imogen (2006) Social care research: a suitable case for systematic review? Evidence and Policy, 2 (4). pp. 503-523. ISSN 1744-2648
Sharland, Elaine (2006) Young people, risk taking and risk making: some thoughts for social work. British Journal of Social Work, 36 (2). pp. 247-265. ISSN 0045-3102
Sharland, Elaine, Seal, Hilary, Croucher, Margaret, Aldgate, Jane and Jones, David (1996) Professional Interventions in Child Sexual Abuse. HMSO. ISBN 9780113219278
Monck, Elizabeth, Bentovim, Arnon, Goodall, Gillian, Lwin, Rebekah and Sharland, Elaine (1996) Child sexual abuse: a descriptive and treatment study. Studies in child protection . HMSO, London. ISBN 0-11-321927-X
Smith, Teresa, Noble, Michael, Barlow, Jane, Sharland, Elaine and Smith, Georges (1995) Education divides: poverty and schooling in the 1990s. Poverty publication, 90 . Child Poverty Action Group, Oxford. ISBN 9780946744763