Prof David Berry
|Post:||Professor of Digital Humanities (Media and Film)|
|Other posts:||Co-Director (Sussex Humanities Lab)|
|Professor of Social and Political Thought (Centre for Social and Political Thought)|
|Location:||SILVERSTONE SB 316|
|International:||+44 1273 877557|
|download vCarddownload vCard to your mobile|
In my work I research the theoretical and medium-specific challenges of understanding digital and computational media, particularly algorithms, software and code. My work draws on critical theory, political economy, medium theory, software studies, and the philosophy of technology. As Professor of Digital Humanities, I am particularly interested in how computation is being incorporated into arts and humanities, and social science practice. I am a co-Director of the Sussex Humanities Lab and the Research Centre for Digital Materiality. I sometimes blog at Stunlaw.
Students can book an appointment with Professor Berry
- The University
- Critical Digital Humanities
Selected research awards, fellowships, & prizes
- 2016 Visiting Fellowship 2015-16 at Mansfield College, University of Oxford.
- 2014 Sussex Humanities Lab, Sussex Research Competition (£3 million) David Berry (Co-I), with Caroline Bassett (PI), Tim Hitchcock (Co-I), Sally Jane Norman (Co-I), Rachel Thomson (Co-I), University of Sussex.
- 2014 The Orchestra of the future, Sussex Research Networking Fund (£1400), David Berry (Co-I), with Ed Hughes (PI) and 9 Co-I's, University of Sussex.
- 2013 Digital Humanities at Sussex, Sussex Research Networking Fund (£1400), David Berry (PI), with Caroline Bassett (Co-I), University of Sussex.
- 2012 Translation Arrays: Version Variation Visualisation: Phase 2.1, RIAH Research Initiatives Fund (£7453.70), Digital Shakespeare Project, Co-Investigator, with Dr T. Cheesman (PI), Dr R. S. Laramee (Co-I), Swansea University.
- 2012 Digital Humanities and Software Studies, Research Council of Norway/Norges forskningsråd (104000 Kr/ £12,000), Yggdrasil fellowship - IS-MOBIL 2011-12: Digital Media: Software/Code and Social Media (PI).
- 2011 Media and Algorithms, Visiting Researcher/Gjesteforsker, July 2011, Institutt for medier og kommunikasjon, University of Oslo, Blindern, Oslo, Norway.
- 2011 Webscience at Swansea: Establishing Wales’ leading centre for Web Science, EPSRC Bridging the Gaps (£8452), Co-Investigator with Dr. M. Wilson (PI), Swansea University.
- 2011 Digital Media and Development, Gjesteforskerstipend (38000 Kr/£4,176) Visiting Fellow Grant at Noragric, Universitetet for miljø- og biovitenskap (UMB), Oslo, Norway.
- 2010 Identity, Trust and Security in Cyberspace, EPSRC Bridging the Gaps (£4000), Co-Investigator with Prof. T. Chen (PI), Prof. K. Haines (Co-I), Prof. J. Tucker (Co-I). and Dr. V. Wang (Co-I), Swansea University.
- 2010 Visualizing Re-Translation Variation: Othello, RIAH Research Initiatives Fund (£13,567), Co-Investigator, with Dr T. Cheesman (PI), Dr R. S. Laramee (Co-I), Professor A. J. Rothwell (Co-I), Swansea University.
- 2010 Somali Media and Conflict, Norwegian MFA Grant (£105,000), Principal Investigator with Dr S. J. Hansen (PI).
- 2005 Open Source Software, ESRC Parliamentary Office for Science and Technology (POST) Research Fellow, UK Houses of Parliament.
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (RSA)
- International Communication Association (ICA)
- The Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association (MeCCSA)
- European Communication Research and Education Organization (ECREA)
- The British Philosophical Association (BPA)
- Performing Rights Society (PRS)
Professor of Digital Humanities