Prof David Berry
|Post:||Professor of Digital Humanities (Media and Film)|
|Other posts:||Co-Director (Sussex Humanities Lab)|
|Reader in Media and Communication (Centre for Social and Political Thought)|
|Location:||SILVERSTONE SB 316|
|International:||+44 1273 877557|
|download vCarddownload vCard to your mobile|
Professor Berry is away on sabbatical in the 2015/16 academic year.
David researches the theoretical and medium-specific challenges of understanding digital and computational media, particularly algorithms, software and code. His work draws on critical theory, political economy, medium theory, software studies, and the philosophy of technology. As Professor of Digital Humanities he is particularly interested in how computation is being incorporated into arts and humanities, and social science practice. He is a co-Director of the Sussex Humanities Lab and the Research Centre for Digital Materiality. David blogs at Stunlaw.
Students can book an appointment with Dr Berry using ScheduleOnce
- Critical Digital Humanities.
- Theories of digital code/software/algorithms (software studies/digital humanities).
- Opacity, Cryptography and Critical Technical Practice
- The University
Selected research awards, fellowships, & prizes
- 2016 Visiting Fellowship 2015-16 at Mansfield College, University of Oxford.
- 2014 Sussex Research Competition (£2.9 million): Sussex Humanities Lab (Co-I), with Caroline Bassett (PI), Tim Hitchcock (Co-I), Sally Jane Norman (Co-I), Rachel Thomson (Co-I), University of Sussex.
- 2014 Sussex Research Networking Fund (£1400): Orchestra of the future (Co-I), with Ed Hughes (PI) and 9 Co-I's, University of Sussex.
- 2013 Sussex Research Networking Fund (£1400): Digital Humanities at Sussex (PI), with Caroline Bassett (Co-I), University of Sussex.
- 2012 RIAH Research Initiatives Fund (£7453.70): Translation Arrays: Version Variation Visualisation: Phase 2.1, Digital Shakespeare Project, Co-Investigator, with Dr T. Cheesman (PI), Dr R. S. Laramee (Co-I), Swansea University.
- 2012 Research Council of Norway/Norges forskningsråd (104000 Kr/ £12,000), Yggdrasil fellowship - IS-MOBIL 2011-12: Digital Media: Software/Code and Social Media (PI).
- 2011 Visiting Researcher/Gjesteforsker, July 2011, Institutt for medier og kommunikasjon, University of Oslo, Blindern, Oslo, Norway.
- 2011 EPSRC Bridging the Gaps (£8452): Webscience at Swansea: Establishing Wales’ leading centre for Web Science, Co-Investigator with Dr. M. Wilson (PI), Swansea University.
- 2011 Gjesteforskerstipend (38000 Kr/£4,176) Visiting Fellow Grant at Noragric, Universitetet for miljø- og biovitenskap (UMB), Oslo, Norway.
- 2010 EPSRC Bridging the Gaps (£4000): Identity, Trust and Security in Cyberspace, Co-Investigator with Prof. T. Chen (PI), Prof. K. Haines (Co-I), Prof. J. Tucker (Co-I). and Dr. V. Wang (Co-I), Swansea University.
- 2010 RIAH Research Initiatives Fund (£13,567): Visualizing Re-Translation Variation: Othello, Co-Investigator, with Dr T. Cheesman (PI), Dr R. S. Laramee (Co-I), Professor A. J. Rothwell (Co-I), Swansea University.
- 2010 Norwegian MFA Grant (£105,000): Somali Media and Conflict, Principal Investigator with Dr S. J. Hansen (PI).
- 2005 ESRC Parliamentary Office for Science and Technology (POST) Research Fellow, UK Houses of Parliament.
- 2004 Oxford Full Studentship, Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford.
- 2002 ESRC +3 Full Doctoral Studentship. 2002-2006, University of Sussex.
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (RSA)
- International Communication Association (ICA)
- The Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association (MeCCSA)
- European Communication Research and Education Organization (ECREA)
- The British Philosophical Association (BPA)
- Performing Rights Society (PRS)
Professor of Digital Humanities