Electronic message boards
The three electronic message signs at the campus entrances communicate important information to the community.
Messages must be relevant to most staff, students and other visitors to campus. As a general rule, the sign will not be used to promote events unless they are judged to have a general interest (e.g. open days, student theatre productions, public lectures) or are particularly high-profile or prestigious (e.g. major conferences, events with important guests).
The main types of messages that will be considered include:
- Announcements or news of campus-wide interest or concern, e.g. 'Sussex 11th in UK - Guardian league table out now'
- Large or campus-wide events, e.g. 'Summer Open Day - 10 June'
- General welcome messages ('Welcome to the University of Sussex')
- Specific welcome messages, e.g. 'Welcome to International Summer School students'. Please note: messages of this kind will be restricted. It is not possible or desirable to individually welcome every visitor to campus in this way
- Emergency announcements, including closure (e.g. snow)
Messages are necessarily short and concise. They are drafted and approved by the internal communications team.
Messages will normally be required to fit on one screen, and should be no more than 50 characters long (aim for six or seven words).
The number and frequency of messages will be determined by priorities (e.g. during emergencies, one message will show continuously). In any case, no more than five messages should show at any one time.
Notices are normally reviewed daily, but they could be changed during the day as events start or finish, or if an emergency unfolds.
You are encouraged to use a variety of communications channels for the announcements rather than relying solely on the electronic sign - which is necessarily limited to a small number of high-profile items.
Messages that are approved for the sign should reinforce information given elsewhere (online, via email, newsletters etc). We would expect any suggestion to outline the ways in which other communications channels are being used.
The number of messages that can appear on the sign at any given time is limited, and we in the internal communications team decide which have priority at any given time.
For enquiries about the signs, please call ext. 8888, or email firstname.lastname@example.org