Word & Image (Q3286B)
15 credits, Level 5
Word and Image is a cross-period, interdisciplinary module, rooted in materiality, theory, history and the archive.
Through research and writing practice, we will investigate ways that writing (poetry, fiction, theoretical texts, captions and titles) can address itself to images.
We will explore visual arts that take literature for their inspiration: illustrations, history paintings, and visual adaptations of textual narratives.
We will examine cases in which word and image are composed together as a single work, e.g. concrete poetry, illuminated books, and graphic narratives. The module is suitable for students new to the visual arts as well as those with prior knowledge.
38%: One-to-one (Tutorial)
14%: Practical (Workshop)
48%: Seminar (Class)
100%: Coursework (Portfolio, Project)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 44 hours of contact time and 106 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2018/19. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- American Studies and English (with a study abroad year) BA
- Drama and English (with a study abroad year) BA
- Drama and English BA
- English (with a study abroad year) BA
- English BA
- English Language and Literature (with a study abroad year) BA
- English Language and Literature BA
- English and Art History (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and Art History BA
- English and History (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and History BA
- English and Media Studies (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and Media Studies BA
- Philosophy and English BA