Global Environmental Change (003GS)
30 credits, Level 6
Environmental change has become a central global issue with serious implications for the social and natural world. There is a need to monitor the earth's signs of change, especially where ground information is spatially limited, filled with error, or unavailable. Remote sensing datasets are vital in monitoring local, regional and global changes.
This module enables you to understand and use remote-sensing datasets to answer fundamental questions about our changing planet. This will involve:
- understanding the nature of remote sensing
- the different instruments and techniques and processing and manipulation of raw signals
- applying it to different fields within the earth and environmental sciences (atmosphere, cryosphere, hydrosphere, biosphere).
Remote Sensing in the atmosphere is used for weather monitoring, greenhouse gas detection, and pollution. Remote sensing in the cryosphere is used in determining the presence, absence and change of ice cover over the earth's surface. Remote sensing in the hydrosphere monitors the oceans, organic and inorganic ocean constituents, sea surface temperatures, el nino events, land water fluxes, and flooding events. Remote Sensing in the biosphere monitors the component of the earth that supports life, and is sensitive to changes in climate, such as vegetation structure, composition, land cover types, soil moisture, leaf chemical components, phenology, change detection, plant stress and photosynthesis, transpiration and surface temperatures.
50%: Practical (Fieldwork, Practical)
40%: Coursework (Presentation, Report)
60%: Written assessment (Report)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 300 hours of work. This breaks down into 36 hours of contact time and 264 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2018/19. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Geography (research placement) MSci
- Geography BA
- Geography BSc
- Geography MArts
- Geography MSci
- Geography and Anthropology BA
- Geography and Anthropology MArts
- Geography and International Development BA
- Geography and International Development MArts
- Geography and International Relations BA
- Geography and International Relations MArts
- Geography with a Language BA