Critical Approaches 2 (Q3123)
15 credits, Level 4
Critical Approaches 2 builds on the large and difficult questions of interpretation introduced in Critical Approaches 1. It encourages you to think in new, more interrogative ways about the work you do for your English degree at Sussex.
In the spring, you study three themes:
- theories of subjectivity, identity and desire
- postcolonial studies
- the contemporary moment.
Throughout the module, you read critical and theoretical essays and literary works that contribute to your understanding of these themes.
37%: Lecture (Film, Lecture)
100%: Coursework (Essay, Presentation)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 36 hours of contact time and 114 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2017/18. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- American Studies and English (with a study abroad year) BA
- Drama and English (with a study abroad year) BA
- Drama and English BA
- English (with a study abroad year) BA
- English BA
- English Language and Literature (with a study abroad year) BA
- English Language and Literature BA
- English and Art History (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and Art History BA
- English and Film Studies BA
- English and History (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and History BA
- English and Media Studies (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and Media Studies BA
- Philosophy and English BA