Non-Profit Management and Social Entrepreneurship (N1597)
15 credits, Level 6
In this module, you are introduced to management and organisation in the non-profit sector.
You examine the diversity of the non-profit sectors and types of organisations (e.g. foundations, non-governmental organisations, and social enterprises) across different countries and institutional settings - in a comparative and international perspective.
Your studies in this module draw on research, policy and practice to critically explore the management challenges of non-profit organisations and new ventures, and the relation between non-profit, public and business sectors, and civil society.
In the module, you discuss key theoretical perspectives and approaches of how non-profit organisations operate and are managed. You also explore how to utilise social entrepreneurship to generate social change and impact through the creation of new ventures and mobilisation of resources across organisation and sector boundaries.
You cover key issues in starting, growing, leading, managing, and governing non-profit organisations and new non-profit ventures.
Your major topics in this module include:
- governance and accountability
- strategy and strategic planning
- non-profit financing and financial management
- leadership and managing people
- volunteering and civic engagement
- alliances and networks
- venturing and impact
- technology and new media.
70%: Coursework (Report)
30%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 32 hours of contact time and 118 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2017/18. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Business and Management Studies (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Business and Management Studies BSc
- Economics and Management Studies BSc
- Finance and Business (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Finance and Business BSc
- Marketing and Management (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Marketing and Management BSc
- Marketing and Management with Psychology (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Marketing and Management with Psychology BSc