Academic Skills in Life Sciences (C7161)
15 credits, Level 4
Students will learn about the range of research done in the School of Life Sciences, how to read and evaluate the primary research literature, how to write scientific essays, referencing scientific misconduct and also some of the quantitative skills needed in life sciences. This module is taught by lectures, workshops and tutorials, which are normally taken with the Academic advisor. A class will be run on careers.
Module learning outcomes
- To understand and interpret a primary research paper in Life Sciences, especially the main research objectives, outcomes and how the conclusions are justified by the evidence.
- To demonstrate the ability to understand and explain quantitative data especially the graphical presentation, and do basic calculations relevant to life sciences, including an understanding of units.
- To develop communication skills and explain scientific concepts orally and in writing, using suitable organisation and use of graphics.
- To search databases and online resources for information, understand plagiarism and use a conventional referencing system to build a bibliography.
11%: One-to-one (Tutorial)
32%: Practical (Laboratory)
26%: Seminar (Class, Seminar)
100%: Coursework (Essay, Presentation, Test)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 25 hours of contact time and 125 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2017/18. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Biochemistry (research placement) MSci
- Biochemistry (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Biochemistry BSc
- Biochemistry MSci
- Biology (research placement) MSci
- Biology BSc
- Biology MSci
- Biomedical Science (research placement) MSci
- Biomedical Science BSc
- Biomedical Science MSci
- Genetics (research placement) MSci
- Genetics BSc
- Genetics MSci
- Medical Neuroscience (research placement) MSci
- Medical Neuroscience BSc
- Medical Neuroscience MSci
- Neuroscience (research placement) MSci
- Neuroscience BSc
- Neuroscience MSci
- Neuroscience with Cognitive Science (research placement) MSci
- Neuroscience with Cognitive Science BSc
- Neuroscience with Cognitive Science MSci