print friendly version

Questions and answers

How can I get access to my University files from my laptop or home PC using WebDrive?

You can access your files (for example, your university N: drive), on a PC, using a program called WebDrive, for which the university has purchased a site licence.

Once you have downloaded and installed Webdrive, follow the instructions below to add a connection and start using it.

Configure the cache settings

Change this settings to make sure you see the most up-to-date information about your files.

  • A WebDrive icon is in the  System Tray at the bottom right of your computer screen
  • Right-Click on this icon and choose Program Settings
  • Choose Basic Cache Settings from the left panel
  • Tick Multi-User
  • Click OK

Set up a connection

  • Right-click on the WebDrive icon and choose Open WebDrive
  • Click New
  • Click SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) and click Next
  • Enter the Url/address to access your N: drive or personal files, or for staff G: drives in academic departments or the Library
  • Enter your username and password and choose whether or not to remember  it
  • Click Advanced Settings and then Basic File Settings
  • Tick Ignore desktop.ini files in list of settings and click OK
  • Click Next 
  • Choose whether you want to connect to your files automatically when you login and enter a suitable name (e.g. My Sussex files or Sussex Group Drive)
  • You can also choose a drive letter - you might like to choose N: or G: drives to match Sussex Windows PCs
  • Click Finish

Once set up, to use WebDrive:

  • Right-click on the WebDrive Tray Icon
  • Select Connect to 
  • Select site, e.g. My Sussex files
Alternatives to Webdrive
There are other programs which enable you to get access to your files from off campus and might be more suitable - see our guide on working remotely.


Help us to improve this answer

Please suggest an improvement
(login needed, link opens in new window)

Your views are welcome and will help other readers of this page.


This is question number 1561, which appears in the following categories:

Created by Caroline House on 12 May 2009 and last updated by Mark Wilson on 14 July 2016