International Student Support

Making changes to your police registration certificate

If your personal information or circumstances change, you must make sure that your police registration certificate is also updated. Find out how to make changes to your certificate below.

When do I need to make changes to my police registration certificate?

You must keep your details up to date with the Police, especially any changes of address. This is important if you need to make a visa application soon, as the information on your certificate must be accurate. Don't leave it until close to your visa expiry date to update, as there may not be enough time.

The Rules of the Police Registration Scheme require you to report changes to your personal information of circumstance within 7 days of the change. The following changes need to be communicated to the Police:

  • New address (if you will be living there for more than two months)
  • Any new landing conditions
  • Extensions to your visa granted by the Home Office
  • New passport
  • New study information or change to university/college
  • Change of marital status
  • Exemption from Police Registration
  • Change of Nationality 


How to I inform the Police about these changes?


To Update Your Address

You can visit any Police station within the Sussex area which includes Brighton, Hove, Lewes, and Eastbourne. You will need to take along the required documents:

  • proof of identity
  • original Police Registration Certificate
  • bank statement or page from your accommodation agreement stating your name and address
  • completed registration form


To Update Other or Multiple Changes

To make other changes or multiple changes to your Police Registration Certificate, you will need to book a Police Registration Appointment , you can book this appointment online. 

How do I make an appointment?

1. You must book your appointment online. If you cannot open the link please try a different browser such as Internet Explorer or Firefox. DO NOT make more than one appointment.

2. You will then receive a confirmation, telling you when and where your appointment will be.


You must attend your appointment as it is not optional and you must arrive on time.


You will need to do this within 7 days of making the change. Please take proof of identity and your original Police Registration Certificate and any other relevent proof/documents, these might include:

  • new visa/BRP/extensions - your passport and Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) if you have been issued with one
  • new passport/change of nationality – your new passport and Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
  • change of study – Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies or Letter of Student Status from the University
  • completed registration form




You may be asked for your up-to-date Police registration certificate at a UK border if you re-enter the UK, so make sure you take this with you.




International Student Support

T +44 (0)1273 67 8422