International Student Support

Lost Passport/ BRP inside the UK

Your passport, visa and Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) are vital documents so you should make every effort to keep them safe. If your passport/ visa is lost or stolen in the UK, the procedures differ depending on what type of visa you have. Please note that whenever you receive a new passport/ visa you are required to provide Sussex with a copy.

If your passport/ visa is stolen in the UK. You should follow the steps below:-

1) Report this to the Police

You need to do this as soon as possible by visiting the Police Station at John Street, Brighton, BN2 0LA (if the loss occurred in Sussex). You will need to fill out a form explaining what happened to you and you will be issued with a crime reference number, which will be important for applying for replacement documents.

If you lose your BRP in London you can't report it to the police and you should instead contact where we can provide you with a letter explaining this.

2) Report the loss to

The team can provide you with scans of your passport/visa.

3) Report the loss to UKVI (if you have lost your BRP)

If you have a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), you will need to report the loss to UKVI. Use the online form on their website. Please note that as soon as you report the loss your BRP it will be cancelled, so even if you subsequently find it, you will still need to apply for a replacement.

4) Contact your embassy in London (if you have lost your Passport)

Contact your embassy in London to apply for a replacement passport (if necessary). You may need to supply your crime reference number.

If you have lost your visa, the process will then differ depending on whether you had a vignette (sticker) in your passport, or whether you had a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP):

If you have a Sticker or Stamp in your passport

When you get your new passport from your embassy, you will need to apply to the Home Office to transfer your visa to a BRP (Biometric Residence Permit). They will not replace it with a new sticker, but will instead issue you with a BRP (which will then be your visa). The form you will need to complete is a Transfer of Conditions (TOC form) The process can take up to 8 weeks if you opt for a standard application, although a premium option is available. You can contact if you have questions about this process.

- £168 for a standard postal application. This process can take up to 8 weeks

- £758 in person - pay when booking the appointment online

If your visa was about to expire when you lost it, it may not be necessary to replace it. The TOC Guidance notes states the following on page 2:

''If you are within 8 weeks of the end of your permitted stay and want to remain in the UK for a further period'' you should not apply to replace your vignette with a BRP but should instead make a fresh 'leave to remain' immigration application ''in the appropriate category''.

''If you do not intend to extend your stay in the UK, you should carry your old passport (if you still have it) and/or any letter from the Home Office with your permission to be here as evidence of your status.

If you have a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

When do I apply?

Following the guidance on the Home Office website about what to do if you lose your BRP. You will need to apply for a replacement BRP within 3 months of reporting the loss. Failure to do this could result in you receiving a fine or your visa being cancelled.

If you have more than 3 months’ leave left (the guidance to the BRP(RC) says 4 weeks, but the UKVI has confirmed that it is 3 months in line with the information on their website), apply for a replacement BRP within 3 months of loss/ theft/ damage.

You must apply for a replacement if you have more than 3 months' leave remaining even if you plan to leave the UK soon. If you don't do this you may receive a fine, have your leave curtailed and/or any future immigration applications you make to come to the UK may be affected. However, it can take up to 10 weeks for a replacement BRP to be issued. It is very important that you do not let your leave expire while you wait for the Home Office to send you a new BRP, as you will become an overstayer (which is an illegal status in the UK). Please contact one of our immigration advisers if you think you will need to leave the UK soon, and the Home Office have not returned your BRP.


How do I apply?

You can apply for your Replacement BRP card by one of the following ways:-

Download our guide to completing the Replacement BRP card (online form)

There are two ways you can make this application, by post (£56, you receieve your replacement BRP card within 8-10 weeks) or in person (£666+, you receive your replacement BRP card within 2-3 weeks).

It is possible to select the Premium Service option for the replacement BRP application. The service can be booked online when you complete the online form . You will be able to choose when and where you wish to attend (there are 7 Premium Service Centres). You will be required to pay the full fee (£666+) online first, print out the confirmation, and bring the completed form and documents when you attend the appointment. You will normally receive a decision at the Premium Service Centre and your BRP card will be sent by post within 7-10 working days.

Do not make travel plans until you have received your new BRP card to avoid having to cancel your trip.

If you wish to speak with an Adviser please ensure that you have completed the online form to the best of your ability and bring the required documents to a Quick Question session.


What do I do when I receive my replacement BRP card?

- Take your BRP card to the Student Systems and Records Office so the university can scan the new visa to your record

- Update your Police Registration Certificate with the new BRP (if you have a Police Registration Certificate)

- Keep your BRP somewhere safe with your passport





International Student Support

T +44 (0)1273 67 8422