International Student Support

Immigration and visas

The visa team offer a confidential specialist advice service. We can answer your immigration questions and help you prepare for any visa applications you may need to make.

When can I see an immigration adviser?
  • Quick Question sessions - A quick question immigration advice service operates throughout the year. We issue a monthly schedule which is available on the right, however normal drop in times are 2-4pm daily.
  • Please note we will not be able to see you outside these times (unless you have an appointment).
  • Appointments – we will book an appointment for Tier 4 or Dependant form checks, and for students who need a longer appointment, please email
  • Workshops – we offer workshops throughout the year.
  • If you have any special requirements  please email us and we will do our best to assist you.
  • You can email us for advice at We aim to reply to you in 2-4 working days.
What issues can we advise you on?

We are regulated by OISC and can give immigration advice on the following issues:

  • Tier 4 applications
  • Problems with your Tier 4 visa application i.e. refusals, rejections and appeals
  • Working in the UK during and after your studies including Tier 2, Tier 5 and Doctorate Extension Scheme
  • Dependant visas
  • Immigration issues related to intermission, resits and withdrawing from the University
  • Schengen visas
  • Lost and stolen passports and BRP's
  • Police registration
  • ATAS

Please be aware that while we offer a confidential advice service, as a Tier 4 sponsor we are obliged to notify the Home Office about certain issues, such as breaches of your working conditions like working more hours than you are allowed, or being self employed. For more information, see our statement of service.

How can I contact the immigration advisers?
How do I find an immigration solicitor? 

We can’t recommend immigration solicitors, however we can offer advice on how to find a suitable solicitor and what to expect.

Before you see a solicitor, please make sure you have asked how much they charge for their services. Some solicitors charge a set price for helping with a visa application, for example they may charge you £400 to do a Tier 4 application for you. Other solicitors have a charge which is based on the time they spend with you, for example they may charge £100 + VAT for a half-hour appointment. You should clarify this with them before you see them.

To find an immigration solicitor please use the Immigration Law Practitioners Association (ILPA) website below and search for South East England or London.  

Immigration Quick Question Sessions

Immigration Quick Question Sessions - September 2019

Awaiting BRP/ Passport from UKVI

If you have not received your documents back from UKVI and you applied more than 8 weeks ago, you can contact UKVI directly for an update:

The above link also contains instructions on how to get your documents back if you need to travel urgently.

International Student Support

T +44 (0)1273 67 8422