The Sussex campus is one of the most beautiful in the UK. Set on the edge of the beautiful South Downs National Park, it is a safe and convenient place to live and study.
Our thriving campus is like a large village, where thousands of students and staff work, study and relax. With just over 10,000 students, it's small enough to be friendly and welcoming, yet large enough to offer a lively social scene. All facilities are in easy reach and lectures are a short walk away.
Food and drink
There are almost 20 cafés, restaurants and bars on campus, offering everything from coffee, cakes and light snacks to hot meals, including vegetarian and ethnic choices.
You can use the shops on campus for essential items and services. There is a grocery store, convenience shop, bookshop, post office and launderette – all within easy reach of University accommodation. You can also find two banks (Barclays and HSBC), with ATM cash machines.
Our IT Services provide a range of computer facilities to help you study. IT suites are located across campus – many with 24-hour access. Other facilities include:
- wireless network
- personalised email and network access
- extensive printing facilities
- adapted PCs for students with disabilities or additional learning needs.
Health and welfare
To look after your health, you'll find a doctor's surgery, dentist and pharmacy on the campus. There are also several places for worship, including the multi-faith Meeting House (offering a chapel and chaplaincy service, as well as peace and quiet) and an Islamic prayer room.
The University Library is at the heart of the campus and home to almost a million books and journals, as well as important special collections, such as the manuscripts and letters of Virginia Woolf and Rudyard Kipling. Other library facilities include:
- over 1,000 study places and eight group workrooms
- electronic library with access to over 20,000 journals
- PCs, laptop facilities and wireless coverage throughout
- audio-visual facilities including films and documentaries.
Getting involved in sport while you study is a great way to keep fit and make new friends. The campus has excellent sports facilities to help you make the most of your spare time, including:
- multi-purpose sports halls and newly refurbished fitness rooms
- dance studio, with over 30 dance and movement classes a week
- squash courts
- grass soccer pitches and rugby pitch,
- cricket pitches and tennis courts
- floodlit artificial turf pitch (hockey and soccer)
- lifestyle studio offering a sports-injury clinic, sports massage, relaxation massage, reiki and reflexology.
The University of Sussex Students' Union (USSU) is the focus of many student activities on campus. It runs over 120 societies and 40 sports teams and organises a calendar of meetings, club nights, film screenings and arts events. In addition, the Union manages shops and bars and provides advice on academic issues, welfare and careers.