Finance Division

Income Team

The Income Team are responsible for the processing and banking of University income. The services provided are the banking cash, cheques and debit/credit card payments that are made in person at our Income Counter in Sussex House.

It is important that you bring the correct documents with you to enable the income team to allocate your payments accurately. 

Our aim is to ensure all income is banked and allocated in a timely and accurate manner in accordance with the Financial Regulations.

Key responsibilities:

WPM On-Line Shop (staff only)

The Online Store  service offers University departments the facility to take online payments and bookings.

Online Store debit/credit cards and PayPal payments pages can cater for a range of goods and services. For example;

  • Simple payments for physical items like study packs/transcripts
  • General administration fees
  • Field trips
  • Memberships
  • Event booking
  • Short courses (e.g SCLS)
  • As well as more specialised setups for conferences

Any process where departments need to take payment and/or capture booking or registration details can be set up to run automatically using this service, sending the money to a designated sub-project code with all the information available via excel friendly online reports.

To find out how you can arrange a payment page in the Online Store please contact, Cath Hulme <>

Funds into the Bank Account:

The University holds a number of bank accounts and all of the University’s bank transactions are allocated by the Income Team, and each account is reconciled each month.

There are a large number of transactions that pass through these accounts and we need your help to be able to identify them and allocate appropriately.

Guidelines for receiving payments:

  • Ask the sender to quote a reference that can be identified on the University’s bank statement
  • Inform the Income Team of funds you are expecting, the bank reference that will be quoted and the Finance System account code and sub-project to be credited
  • If you receive the remittance advice, forward to the Income Team with the Finance System account code and sub-project to be credited

Frequently Asked Questions:


How do I get a Vice Chancellor (VC) loan?

You will need to visit the Student Life Centre in Bramber House to request a VC loan.

Open 9am-5pm Monday to Friday

How do I payback my VC loan?

You can pay back your VC loan via your Sussex Direct account, or in person at the Student Accounts counter in Sussex House.

Who do I contact if I have an enquiry on my Student Account?

Our Student Accounts team will be able to assist you with account related queries.


Phone: 0800 849 49 79 (Monday – Friday 10am-1pm and 2pm-4pm)

What payment methods do you accept?

We accept the following methods of payment at the Student Accounts/Income counter:

  • You can pay with your Visa, MasterCard or American Express card
  • We accept cash up to a maximum of £500 per day per student
  • Cash deposits over £500 can be paid directly into the University’s bank account by visiting the branch of Barclays bank located in Sussex House who are open from 10am-2pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday during term time. Opening times during vacations may vary.

Alternatively, you can pay by cheque. All cheques should be signed, dated and made payable to ‘University of Sussex’.



How do I get a petty cash float?

Please email your request to the Income team manager.

How do I obtain a petty cash reimbursement?

Please visit the Income Team in Sussex House with your completed authorised petty cash reimbursement form and corresponding receipts, between 10am-4pm Monday to Friday.

How do I complete a receipt back up form?

Further information can be found in our guidance note: How to complete a receipt backup form [PDF 16.88KB]

When completing a receipt back up form it should include the following details:

  • Name
  • Department
  • Description of payment in narrative box
  • 4 digit account code
  • Sub-Project

We are not able to accept cash or cheques where an account code and sub-project have not been provided. If you are unsure of the correct account code and sub-project to use please contact you schools finance co-ordinator. 

Where can I find the correct account and sub project code to use?

If you are unsure of the correct account code and sub-project to use please contact you schools finance co-ordinator. 

Where do I send remittance advices?

Please email a copy of the remittance to

How do I deposit cash/cheques into an account code and sub project?

Please complete a receipt form and bring this to the Income Team in Sussex House along with your cash/cheques.

Open 10am-4pm Monday-Friday

How do I obtain a UoS official receipt book?

Please email to request a UoS official receipt book.

How do I payback my advance?

Please email Accounts Payable who will be able to explain the process. 

Staff Information

University of Sussex
Sussex House
BN1 9RH 

Fax: 01273 877367
+441273 877367 (International)

Opening hours

Income Counter: Opening Hours
Weekdays 10am until 4pm
(Sussex House)

Student Accounts Counter: Opening Hours
Monday to Friday from 10am until 4pm
(Sussex House)