School of English

Where can I get help if I’m feeling lost?

There is a whole array of support on offer to students

Every student is allocated an academic advisor. This is a member of academic staff in the School of English (or possibly in another school in the case of Joint Honours students). Students normally have the same academic advisor throughout their degree. Academic advisors hold ‘office hours’ each week, when they are in their offices and students can drop by; check their webpages to see when these times are. Alternatively you can make contact by email. You may speak to your academic advisor about any aspect of your degree or problems with study, or about any other concern which is affecting you. For help with non-academic problems, your advisor may refer you on to other forms of help and support elsewhere in the University.

 You can also seek help from your module tutors. This is probably your best point of contact for module-related issues. Email or drop by in their office hours (times should be advertised on their web page).

Student Life Centre, Bramber House. This is the university support service for students. Specialist advisors here are trained to offer help and advice on every aspect of student life: academic issues, homesickness, health concerns, sexual health, drug issues, housing, money worries etc. You can discuss your concerns with staff who will offer advice and may put you in touch with other sources of help if needed. Drop-ins and appointments are available. Jo Thomas is the School of English contact at the Student Life Centre and is extremely approachable and understanding, but you may also speak to other staff. 

Writing workshops. The School of English runs regular writing workshops on particular topics connected to essay writing; one-to-one help with essay writing is also available. Watch out for posters and emails for more details.  

Study Success at Sussex (S3) is a study skills resource for all students who are new to the University of Sussex.

Student mentors. These are postgraduate students who offer help, advice and support for students. Look out for further details.