Careers and Entrepreneurship

Changing or leaving your course

If you are thinking of leaving your course, speak to your Academic Adviser in the first instance. Then talk through your options with the Student Life Centre, as there will be procedures and implications for your withdrawal. If your course is not for you, it may be possible to change to another degree within Sussex.

Further support you can use at the university includes:

Things to Consider

Before taking the plunge and leaving University it’s important to consider all the options and implications. It would also be useful to:

  • Read Changing or Leaving Your Course from TARGETjobs, in association with the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services (AGCAS)
  • Remember that different universities have a different approach to degree-level education. Whilst this university may not suit you, the courses at another university may suit your needs better
  • Consider different types and levels of qualifications outside of universities

Our careers consultants can help you to think through your options and give you impartial advice on what you can do next. You can book an appointment online.



Here are a few things you might like to think about:


  • UCAS - search, compare and browse for courses. Think about HNC, HND or Foundation degree courses if you are looking for a more vocational focus. You will need to register as an individual and include the details of a referee who can provide you with a reference. Your form will not be submitted until your reference has been attached by the referee. If you want to apply for a different university after your foundation course, check with your new university first whether they will accept foundation courses from other universities before applying.
  • FindFE - try FE colleges for alternative academic or work-related (vocational) courses at different levels of study to those offered at universities

Apprenticeships and school leaver programmes

If you are a mature student, or have deeper work experiences, alternative employment websites might be helpful. Please book an appointment with one of our careers consultants to talk about about this.

Other job opportunities

  • Sikono Careers - a university premature leavers network and recruitment agancy that seeks to find full-time employment for students that have left their course early. Register your details and they will work with you to help you find a job.

Gap Year

  • International Citizen Service - Funded by DFID, and led by VSO, this gives young volunteers (18-25) a unique opportunity to do voluntary development work abroad. An £800 fundraising target is required, but everything else is included (flights, visas, food & accommodation etc.)
  • Worldwide Volunteer Database - comprehensive database of volunteering opportunities worldwide which meet ethical criteria. Search by type of opportunity and country. From WorkingAbroad
  • European Voluntary Service - funded voluntary opportunities in Europe, from 2 weeks to 12 months. Free accommodation, food, insurance and pocket money is included. Small part of travel costs might be payable. Includes a database of accredited organisations
  • The Year in Industry - paid work placements in the year out before university or during your course


If you have completed and passed your first year, you have achieved a Certificate in HE, and if you completed your second year you will have a Diploma in HE.

Once you have officially withdrawn, you can contact to ask them to send your certificates.

Other resources

  • TARGETcareers - useful careers advice and information on different sectors for school leavers
  • Youth Employability Service - if you live in Brighton & Hove, you can access YES until you are 19 if not in education, employment or training. Or until you are 25, if you have an additional learning need or disability
  • Not Going to Uni - one stop shop for apprenticeships, courses, work experience, gap years etc.
  • International Work and Study - for gap year volunteering and work experience