Careers and Employability Centre

First-Generation Scholars

Our award-winning initiative to support you in making the most of your time at Sussex

Check out our exclusive series of funded opportunities:


How do I know if I am a First-Generation Scholar?

We have a database with records of all those we know to be First-Generation Scholars. If you are on this list you will receive a number of targeted emails from us during the year. If you are not receiving these emails, but believe you are a First-Generation Scholar, please contact

Can I take part in more than one opportunity in a single year?

We ask that you choose one opportunity for the summer of your second year. You can apply for more than one, but can only accept one offer. Please note that you can only apply for one China Internship programme (4 or 8 weeks) and not both.

How do I know what programme is right for me?

You can download our flowchart of opportunities to help you choose.

I’m not a First-Generation Scholar, can I take part?

We are obliged by the rules under which the First-Generation Scholars Scheme was founded, to restrict these opportunities to that group. Please contact us (see details below) at the Careers and Employability Centre if you are not a First-Generation Scholar but you are interested in similar opportunities.

Find us on Facebook

Join the Facebook group for First-Generation Scholars to keep up-to-date with the latest news about our funded programmes, find out about upcoming events and chat with your fellow First-Generation Scholars

Request to join now

Contact us