StartUp Sussex Entrepreneurship
Apply for the StartUp Sussex Entrepreneurship Awards 2012/2013 to win set-up funding worth up to £5,000 (which includes space and business support at the Sussex Innovation Centre)
Stop press: all applicants will enter a prize draw to win a Kindle Fire HD!
Previous winning ideas include:
- Board game to support students studying 'A' Level Economics
- After-school chess clubs
- Bespoke cricket tour company
- Mushroom grower and supplier
- On-campus bike hire enterprise
- App for connecting tutors with students
You could be next... Applications from groups or individuals are welcome!
The next deadline is 5 July 2013
What is StartUp Sussex?
StartUp Sussex is a result of a collaboration between the Careers and Employability Centre with the Sussex Innovation Centre (based on campus, supporting businesses to develop their commercial ideas) and UnLtd (a national charity supporting social entrepreneurs in the UK). There are two streams to apply for:
- Commercial Stream - 10 prizes a year of £2,000 each
- Social Enterprise Stream - 15 prizes a year of £5,000 each
StartUp Sussex includes a range of events to demystify entrepreneurship, as well as inspire and support students and graduates to consider entrepreneurship as a viable career option.
Who Can Apply?
- Commercial Stream - undergraduates and postgraduate students registered at the University of Sussex, and University of Sussex graduates of up to 3 years (2010 or later)
- Social Enterprise Stream - undergraduates and postgraduate students registered at the University of Sussex, graduates of up to 1 year
Students and graduates from all subject areas are welcome to apply for either stream. You can apply either as a team or an individual.
For international students and graduates normal visa regulations operate.
Why Take Part?
By taking part in StartUp Sussex you:
- gain an insight into how to get your idea up and running through attending our briefings, seminars and workshops
- devote time to and explore your business or social enterprise ideas
- find out whether you have what it takes to be an entrepreneur
- get feedback from the Sussex Innovation Centre or UnLtd on your idea
If selected by the panel you:
- win £2,000 (commercial) or £5,000 (social) which can be used towards research, creating prototypes, market analysis, travel or anything else the StartUp Sussex Entrepreneurship Awards panel feels would benefit your new business
- you will receive further practical support from the Sussex Innovation Centre to develop your business or social enterprise
Before you apply, find out more at our supporting briefings, seminars and workshops:
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship [Book Now] - Find out what you need to consider along with an introduction to StartUp Sussex - Fri 7 June 2013, 11am-12pm, CEC Seminar Room
- StartUp Sussex - How to Apply Seminar [Book Now] - Find out about the application process and how to sell your idea - Thurs 20 June 2013, 11am, venue tba
I'm Ready! How do I Apply?
To apply for a StartUp Sussex Entrepreneurship Award you will need to complete the following stages.
If you are a graduate or a member of staff, please email firstname.lastname@example.org as we may need to register you manually onto the Sussex Plus system. If you are applying as a team, you can either put all your details down or choose a project leader and put their details on the application form:
- The application form is based in the University’s Sussex Plus system. If you have not already signed up, you will need to register
- Once you have registered with Sussex Plus, complete the StartUp Sussex application form
- Before you start filling in the form in we recommend that you click ‘save’ in the bottom left of the form. You will then be prompted to log into Sussex Plus. The form will now be saved into your Sussex Plus ‘Asset Store’. You can work on and edit your form before submitting.
- Now close the screen and log in to your Sussex Plus account to access your saved form in your asset store
- When you have completed your form you will need to send it to the ‘Sussex Plus 2012-13’ gateway. Please follow these annotated instructions on How to Send an Asset to a Gateway [PDF 297.97KB]
Full details on entry and judging criteria, and application support