Engage with our students and graduates
The Careers and Employability Centre offers a wide range of services to employers (click on each service to find out more):
- Free vacancy advertising
We operate a free vacancy advertising service for opportunities which are suitable for our current students or recent graduates. Adverts appear at our online vacancy listing and interested candidates will apply to you directly.
- One year professional placements (part of the academic programme)
- Temporary and short term work experience
The Careers and Employability Centre can help you recruit students and recent graduates for temporary work experience opportunities. Work experience is a really cost effective way of raising your profile on campus and even testing out potential future graduate employees. Submit your vacancies (under free vacancy advertising above).
Also read our 'Funding to recruit interns' section below.
- Funding to recruit student and graduate interns
The University of Sussex is a partner of Santander Universities UK and we are delighted to be able to offer a limited number of financially supported Santander internships to eligible SMEs. We hope the programme will help you to find some talented interns and possible future employees.
Government guidance on providing quality internships.
Throughout the year the University may also offer full funding to eligible employers to take on current students who are First-Generation Scholars or recent graduates.
We are currently accepting expressions of interest to recruit a recent Sussex graduate for a full-time 10 week opportunity. Find out more about our Sussex Graduate Internship Programme 2016/17. These opportunities are open to all sized organisations.
If you would like to register to our mailing list to hear about these programmes please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any questions, please contact email@example.com
- Careers Fair and free events
Our flagship event, Careers Fair, is organised annually in partnership with the University of Brighton Careers Service and attracts 3,000+ visitors.
Careers Fair 2016 will take place on Wednesday 2 November 2016, 11am - 3pm at the American Express Community Stadium, Falmer. Please see our employer information page for further details and to register your interest.
Part-time Jobs Fair: held early in the autumn term for students (both new and returning) who are looking to find part-time work to help finance their studies and gain work experience. This is a great opportunity for you to advertise your opportunities and raise the profile of your organisation among Sussex students.
The 2016 Part-time Jobs Fair is taking place on Thursday 22 September, 12 - 3pm on campus.
Mini Careers Fair: held each May, this event is aimed at final year and Masters students who are still looking for a graduate opportunity. All students are welcome to attend this event so it's also a great chance to advertise any summer/vacation work and part-time opportunities you may have.
Both of these events are free of charge. Please contact Jocelyn Owen (see below) for further details.
We offer employers and organisations a range of opportunities to meet with our students and recent graduates on campus. Whether you want to raise your profile generally or have specific vacancies to promote, we can help.
Promote your vacancies
- Employer presentations: promote your opportunities and organisation with a presentation in one of our fully-equipped rooms on campus.
- Drop-in sessions: have a stand on campus - either in our busy Library Cafe or within an academic department (if you want to target specific students) - to promote your opportunities and organisation informally one-to-one.
Share your expertise
- Skills workshops: employers often visit Sussex to run skills-based sesisons for our students. Recent hevents have included: presentation skills, networking, commercial awareness and assessment centres.
- Events within academic departments: some academic departments run their own careers activities. We can put you in touch with them if you would be interested in getting involved.
- Alumni focused events: we regularly run events, in collaboration with our Alumni Office, featuring Sussex graduates speaking about their experiences in various career sectors. Recent examples include: Careers in Science; Careers in Media; and Careers in Development & Charities. If you are a Sussex graduate, or have one working in your organisation, we'd be pleased to hear from you.
We can advise you on dates and times, and which option we feel would be most appropriate to your requirements. There are no costs involved (unless you choose to have catering at your event).
How will your event be promoted?
Your event will be added to our online event listing. Students sign up to attend via CareerHub so we are able to monitor interest.
You can select who you want to target for your event (e.g. by year group or by degree subject) and we will ensure that the relevant students are informed. Our marketing and communications strategies include: targeted email, social media, our website and plasma screens around campus.
If you would like to receive further information about Careers Fair, one of our other fairs, or our events programme, please contact:
Graduate Employment and Events Adviser
T: 01273 872937
- Work shadowing
The University is keen to hear from employers who can offer students work shadowing opportunities.
Work shadowing is a great way for students to explore a particular job role or industry sector, and it gives you, as an employer, the chance to make contact with a student early on in their academic study. Work shadowing usually takes place between April and June and is for just 2 days.
If you would like to find out more please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Create a free online profile
If you are interested in raising your profile with Sussex students and graduates, you can now create an enhanced profile page on our CareerHub site.
This is your opportunity to tell students and recent graduates about who you are and what you do.
For more information visit our Create Profile page.
If you would like to discuss any of the above, or have other ideas about how to get involved at Sussex, please contact:
Employer Engagement Manager
T: (01273) 873384
Careers and Employability Centre,
The Library, University of Sussex,
Brighton, BN1 9QL