De septem urbis ecclesiis

Name of text: De septem urbis ecclesiis
Author of text: Onofrio Panvinio
Date of text: 16th century
Date of person in text: 1529-1568
Name of structure in text: Holy Cross in Jerusalem, Rome, Chapel of S. Helena
Type of structure in text: chapel
Date of structure in text 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th
Century of structure 1: 4 AD
Century of structure 2: 16 AD
Country in text: Italy
Region in text: Lazio
City in text: Rome
Specific place of mosaic in text: Arch over a small window
Description of mosaic in text: Inscription
Mosaic date in text: 4 AD
Tesserae silver mentioned in text? No
Tesserae gold mentioned in text? No
Colour descriptions in text:

OnofrioPanvinio, De septem urbis ecclesiis, p. 217, quoted in Eugene Muntz, ‘The Lost Mosaics of Rome IV to IX Century’, The American Journal of Archaeology and of the History of the Fine Arts, 6.1/2 (1890), 1-9, see p. 1


Chapel dedicated in 325 in Helena’s palace.  Later in 4th C became part of church. Restored in 8th century, 1144-5, again in 16th C, again in 1740-58.

Previous Next